Born in Hamburg on 22.11.1878, died on 18.06.1960 in Funchal, Portugal. Took painting classes at the Art academy in Berlin and Hamburg. Later worked in the Paris studio of prof. Otto Ludwig Sinding (1842-1909) and was also student of the Norwegian painter Johan Fredrik Ekkersberg (1822-1870). Decorated the Dresden Bank and Berlin Town Hall. Later was professor at the Art School in Altona.
In the Great War, Max Romer was a member of German infantry army in Western Front in France, Romanian Front (1917) and Thessaloniki, Macedonia (1918). At the Thessaloniki front he was promoted to corporal and won several war medals (Iron Cross 2nd Class, Wound Badge, etц.). In 1958 his war art and trench art works including the Macedonian art works were exhibited at the Music and Art Academy in Funchal. After the war, he moved to the Portuguese island of Madeira where he became one of the most important painters of this island. A collection of 26 drawings from Macedonia and Romania from 1917/18 were sold by the auction house Von Zengen, Bonn, Germany on 14/06.2013 (lot number 1626) to the author of this lexicon.